Unable to install DiskImage 7 (Retail package or direct download) on a Windows 8.1 computerLast updated on January 31, 2014
After extensive tests we have established that DiskImage 7 works just fine with Windows 8.1, however during normal installation an error is produced that declares the operating system is incompatible and the installation is aborted; we apologize for this inconvenience, and while we work diligently to resolve this issue, we have a simple set of instructions to get the user past the error, and to allow the program to be installed.
For direct download customers only: If you have already downloaded the software from your account with Laplink, locate the installer file in your download directory, then please skip ahead to step 8. If you are installing on a 32 bit os, the name of the installer file will reflect that.
- Determine what version of the operating system is on the computer, either 32 or 64 bit. This is easily accomplished by clicking the File Explorer folder at the bottom of the screen.
- In the now open window, in the left pane, right click This PC, then choose Properties.
- A new window will open with the basic information about your computer; the System section will specify what System Type, either 32 or 64 bit. Make note of that.
- Now with the installation disk still in the disk drive, click once more on the File Explorer icon at the bottom of the screen, in the open window locate your DVD or CD drive; the name next to it will be: OODIPRO
- Right click on it and choose: Open
- In the new window you will see the contents of the actual CD; double click the INSTALL folder, then double click the folder that matches your operating system type, either the x32 or the x64 folder.
- Double click through the next two folders until you find the installer executable; the file is called OODI_X32_PRO; or OODI_X64_PRO depending on what path you took.
- Right click on the installer and choose Properties
- In the Properties window that is now open, click the Compatibility tab, once there, place a checkmark in the box labeled: "Run this program in compatibility mode for:"; the dropdown box below should already show Windows 8; if it does not, then click the small arrow to the right and change it to that. A bit below in the Settings section, place a checkmark in the box labeled: "Run this program as administrator". Click Apply, then OK; the Properties window will close.
- Now double-click the installer file and follow the prompts to install the program. When the installation has completed you will be asked to reboot the computer.
- When the computer restarts and you log back into your Windows account, you need to launch DiskImage either from the icon on your desktop, or from the small icon in the system tray.
- IMPORTANT NOTE - You will receive a warning that "This program has compatibility issues"; in the lower left corner of the warning window, check the box labeled: "Don't show this message again", then click the button:"Run the program without getting help".
- Follow the prompts to register the software with the provided serial number. All done.
- IMPORTANT NOTE- If you instead clicked the button: "Get help online", a short scan will start and then you will be presented with a larger window: "Solve a problem with O&O software", and there will be a button to: "Tap or click to download the update from the O&O Software GmbH website". PLEASE STOP! The version from O&O cannot be activated with your Laplink DiskImage key, so if you choose to download and install it, you will be stuck with a 30 days trial only. Simply exit out of the new window withoug taking any actions and you will be returned the message in step 12.